Friday, January 7, 2011

Whats For Dinner 1.7.11

I finally took the plunge... the "tater tot casserole" plunge. Haha. We have friends that have made it, the kids have asked for it and I've just never been too crazy about the idea. But I'm STILL sick, it sounded easy enough and well... its the little things that make my kids excited :) We had salad and fruit with it.

Got a few crappy pictures before putting it in the oven, then I went to lay down with the baby & DH fed the big kids so no pictures then.







Here's the recipe that I used.

1 1/2lbs lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 cup sliced onion (I used one whole medium onion)
1 package dry onion soup mix
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup water
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 package frozen potato nuggets (I used crispy crowns, we prefer them over traditional tater tots)


Preheat oven to 350. Crumble ground peef into a 10-inch skillet, add onion. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until beef is well browned and thoroughly cooked, 5-7 minutes.

Stir soup and floud into beef in skillet. Ad water; continue cooking, stirring constantly, until thickened. Spoon beef mixture into 9-inch square baking dish (I used a 10x8).

Sprinkle cheese over beef mixture. Arrange frozen potato nuggets over cheese, bake until potato nuggets are golden and mixture is bubbly. 30-40 minutes.


The kids loved it, DH liked it ... and I, well, I still can't really taste anything so I just thought it was "okay" lol. Not something that will be on the menu often but I'd probably make it once in a while for the kids.

1 comment:

  1. We love hashbrown or tatet tot casseroles. If you have kids, try some tiny diced veggies also. I use a chopper to make them pretty tiny and then add em in.

    ReplyDelete